Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Top 6 at the Mrs. America Finals

Today is the DAY!! Rehearsals ran a little over schedule today. They were working hard on trying to perfect the opening number. Frit and Frat were stressed about the flow of the pageant, but I think they did an awesome job composing the pageant.

Before I knew it, I was in the dressing room counting down the minutes to be on stage. We were all taking pictures in our opening number dresses. These ladies are all unique and have something special to offer as Mrs. America. I don’t envy the judges' job tonight.



The show started with opening number. They gave away a few awards and then we changed into our state costumes. Alyssa won one of the costume awards! She definitely deserved it. It was finally time for the cut of 51 ladies to 12. I couldn’t believe when they called my name first. The rest of the Top 12 were MO, ME, AR, CT, CO, MD, WY, FL, IL, MI and TN. We all went quickly backstage to change in to our new hot pink swimsuits. I didn’t have much time before I was running back to the stage. My adrenaline was through the roof when I went back on stage. It is an amazing rush that I can’t even begin to explain! I worked it as hard as I could in swimsuit. We had more time between swimsuit and evening gown. I took my time and made sure I took care of every last detail. I felt confident walking across stage in my Frankie Couture gown! I felt like I did everything that I could do. Now it is all in the hands of the judges.




They brought the 12 of back on stage for the next cut. I made it into the Top 6!!! I joined IL, CO, CT, MD and WY. The judges could not have picked 6 more different and dynamic ladies. They asked each of us an on-stage question. My question revolved around my platform, Special Olympics. I spoke about my passion for volunteering starting at a very young age thanks to the values my parents instilled in me. I can’t tell you my exact question and answer. I am sure when I watch the video it will come back to me.



We went backstage and waited while they tabulated our scores. The competition was officially over for us! Our destiny was left for the judges to decide. They called the 6 of us back on stage again. My run for the crown came to a sudden end when the Top 3 were called. IL, CT and MD would now vie for the crown. I joined the rest of the ladies backstage. The time had come for them to crown our next Mrs. America. I was a little surprised when they called Mrs. IL first. I really thought she had it in the bag when they called the Top 3. Mrs. MD was first runner-up. The new Mrs. America is Shelley Carbone, Mrs. CT!!




I am definitely disappointed that I didn’t capture the crown tonight, but I am quickly reminded of the caliber of when who surround me. I am really going to miss these ladies when I return home. They are nothing short of amazing!!!

I packed up my competition clothes and headed to meet my family and friends. My parents, John's parents, Earl, Mary, John Morris, Audrey, Armando, Geneva, Elizabeth and her husband, Leigh and her family were all there to support me tonight. John ordered me a pizza and some french fries. I was immediately in heaven!!! We all said our goodbyes. John visited with me while I packed up all my things. When I finally laid in bed, I couldn’t believe it was all over!!