Monday, September 6, 2010

Preliminary Day


Today is preliminary day! We practiced on the stage in the morning. The risers left a lot to be desired, but everything else was great. You could feel the energy in the room. Everyone was definitely ready to get the show started.

My mom’s birthday is Wednesday, so my brother and I decided to surprise my mom with a day at the spa. Cheryl and my friend Mary joined her, while dad relaxed and the rest of the guys played golf.

Tamara and Frankie got me all ready again. John met me at my room and helped me carry all my things down to the dressing room. It is hysterical walking around with the huge yellow roses that go to my state costume!! I arrived in the dressing room really early. It was hard to sit in front of the mirror and not play with my hair and make-up. I do better when I don’t have time to fidget.

We started the show off in our swimsuits and sarongs. This allowed us to go immediately into swimsuit competition. It seemed like it took hours before I had my chance on stage and then in a blink of an eye I was done. We spend all those hours in the gym for those few seconds on stage. The next phase of competition was evening gown. I love seeing everyone’s gowns! It is one of my favorite parts of the pageant. The judges were excused after evening gown. The final part of our night was state costume. My state costume was made by a Mrs. Texas from a few years ago. She allowed Melissa to borrow it last year and I borrowed it this year. It took a lot of stress off me to not have to worry about this part of the pageant.
After the prelims were over, I was able to visit with all of my family and friends. They are so much fun to be with and Earl is always the life of the party!